My Cannonball adventure

My Cannonball adventure
Meet "Effie" our 1915 Harley-Davidson Twin 3 speed

Friday, December 11, 2009

There's a cork in my oil tank! Really...


Today was the day, we were going to start "Effie". We pushed her outside, with her new tires all shiny and clean. For some reason, am I SO glad I did, I decided to take a quick look at the oil level. Looking into the dark hole, I thought I saw something floating on top. It looked like a cork, like out of a wine bottle. No way! Yes... way! I guess many years ago, someone must have lost the oil cap and put a cork in the opening. That's the only thing I could figure out anyway. I quickly called my husband Pat over, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. All I could think of what how are we going to get that out without having it break apart in a bunch of pieces. I'd thought we'd seen it all!

After a few minutes the shock wore off and we got to work trying to figure out how to fish it out. Pat came up an idea and ran into the house to get one of those little freebie sewing kits he gets at the hotels. He carefully "speared" it with two needles and wriggled it out of the tank very slowly. Of course it has swollen up so much that it needed extra coaxing to make it out through the hole. But he did it! My hero... with hands as steady as a surgeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment