My Cannonball adventure

My Cannonball adventure
Meet "Effie" our 1915 Harley-Davidson Twin 3 speed

Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 10... Lawton, Ok to Clovis, NM

The LONGEST day of the Cannonball! Effie ran great most of the day. The first 20 miles or so were on this REALLY bumpy road. It was not very well traveled. I could see grass growing up between the ruts and cracks. Ugh... I guess this is what it must have been like to ride 95 years ago. Wait! It was worse. I don't think many roads were even paved back then. It was bouncy. Sure gave my seat and Airhawk pad a workout today!

We rode across northern Texas. String crosswinds and head winds cut down on my uphill power and gas mileage. Even ran out of gas twice. Thank goodness for the extra gallon in my saddlebags! Carb ran weird for a bit. Glad I rode with Steve Huntzinger today. (He's the mechanic who rebuilt Effie for this ride) He helped me and adjusted the carb today. I guess we are going up in elevation. No wonder I lost power a few times today. Hope we can make her run good for tomorrow's ride to Albuquerque.

290 more miles done today! I even get to wash my hair! Hopefully I can get more than 5 or 6 hours sleep tonight.

4 comments:

  1. sleep well...you've certainly earned it.
    Hugs, Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you in Albuquerque. I just wanted to jump on my bike and follow you to Ca. Stay safe and have a great time. Jessica and I are in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so disappointed for missing you in Clovis and the crew in Tulia, Tx (my backyard)..that's twice now! Maybe 3 times a charm. Glad you enjoyed riding thru Texas..it's a whole nuther country :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like an interesting trip you had. Looking forward to reading more.

    Marcus

    ReplyDelete