My Cannonball adventure

My Cannonball adventure
Meet "Effie" our 1915 Harley-Davidson Twin 3 speed

Saturday, August 7, 2010

I Finally Ride!





August 6th... D-day! Ride Day. I finally get to see and ride my Cannonball bike. I'll admit it, I was SOOO nervous. I had been shifting this bike in my dreams for months and finally the day was here I would actually get to ride her! Yipee!

Thanks to my hubby and Steve Huntzinger for the ORIGINAL 1915 HD speedomoter that works like a charm!

At first it was hard. The motor only has about 130 miles on her (Thanks Steve!). So, it's not that easy to kick start. I get it after a few tries. Steve has a route planned out. He still needs to break in the motor on his Cannonball Excelsior bike he's riding. We take off... whoa! This is interesting. Foot clutch, tank shift. I make it out the driveway... around the first curve. (Thank goodness Steve lives in the country!) First stop sign... Yes. I kill it. Okay, got THAT out of the way!

16 miles of beautiful sweeping countryside Steve's rear brake locks up. Not a good thing. But, not his fault either. Bad design flaw for the Excelsior. Pat and my friend Toast, who is filming my first ride ( Oh, joy... ) were supposed to be following us, but took a wring turn weren't with us. No cell phones worked out here. Flag down a rancher who drives me up to his ranch house where I call Pat (who is actually only a few miles away). We get back to Steve's with his bike in the truck and me following. 33 miles for me today! It got easier and I actually enjoyed myself!

Pat took it out too, so we got some miles on her. Yeah!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment