My Cannonball adventure

My Cannonball adventure
Meet "Effie" our 1915 Harley-Davidson Twin 3 speed

Monday, August 2, 2010

Some changes to my bike...


Along the way, these past few months Steve, Pat and I talked about things to change on the bike to make it not only road worthy for the 3,300 mile trip ahead, but to make it safer.

Steve changed out the old clincher rims for new wheels and tires. This made a big difference in the way the bike handles. Steve rebuilt the entire motor and transmission. We are running the stock Shebler carb, rebuilt by Steve. He also, (at my begging request) added a front brake. Special thanks to Dale Walksler for the pan for my new seat. which is really surprisingly comfy. When I add the new Airhawk inflatable seat cover I will be styling! My old gas tanks wouldn't have made it out of North Carolina, so the most talented Mr. Huntzinger made me a new set with his own hands. His excellent painter Larry did the old paint job on them and I think they look great! We also decided to remove the original electric headlight and horn. Too valuable and irreplacable to use on this long trip. Pat found me a cool old JD type that Steve made work on the bike. He also got me a tail light at a swap meet that works good. Even has a brake light! Pat even found me an old hand push horn, though I'm not sure how loud it will be. He's been great at helping me find spare parts. What a husband! I'm one lucky girl!

Crew:

Would also like to thank my crew... Mark Allen, my chase van "wrangler" for finding me a great Ford E350 and helping to make it what I need for the trip.

Athena "Chickie" Ransom, my friend and mechanic/chase van driver for offering to come with me. Athena, for those of you who don't know, is a great custom bike builder and owner of Vagabond Choppers in Fort Lauderdale FL, along with her most awesome husband Don.

Laura Klock... my good friend, who is there to help Athena and keep me on the path. Laura also holds the Land Speed Record at the Bonneville Salt Flats for her bagger. Also races on team Klock with her two daughters, Karlee and Erica, who both hold records on the salt. They are the first mother, daughter, daughter to ever hold records at the same time. Plus, they are nice people too! Thanks to Laura's ever supportive and talented husband Brian, who is also a world famous custom builder.

My husband Pat... biggest supporter who has so much faith in my Cannonball ride. I'm sooo glad he will make most of the Cannonball with me. Don;t know where I'd be without him.

My kids won't be able to attend the Cannonball. but will be with me all the way in spirit. Thanks Lindsey, Josh and Patrick. You always let your mom be who she is and that's pretty cool. Thanks for helping me grow up!

No comments:

Post a Comment